Sunday, September 02, 2012

Day Two

     Yes, day 2 of no facebook.  I resorted today to asking my sister if anything "exciting" was going on on fb, and learned that my great niece, Bryn, is walking - which - I guess only knowing a day later isn't a big deal.  See, I'm so accustomed to knowing things quickly!  When my kids were little and began walking, she didn't know it until days/weeks later, when a letter or phone call from me might have informed her of that.  It's the speed at which we gain information about family/friends that I'm missing, I think.
     My daughter called me to say that there was an invitation proffered to family to spend some of Labor Day at my brother's - but I already knew that because my sweet sister-in-law called earlier to find out why my name wasn't showing up on her message list on facebook.  I'm glad she did because I don't want anyone to think I defriended them, but I guess I "defriended" everybody (in a manner of speaking).
      So I finished a book today - "The Piano Shop on the Left Bank".  What a great little treatise on how pianos become such a part of our lives, and of how they "live" when they are a part of our homes and played regularly.  Someone gave this book to my son Dan, and he gave it to me when he was finished with it.  I enjoyed it immensely even if it took place in Paris - somewhere I will probably never be able to visit. 
     I discovered two more books I'm going to start reading, and although I have always read regularly, I now am finding lots more time to do so.  I love books and I love the printed page, and unless I need font to be substantially larger, I probably won't own a Kindle.  When I was a kid nothing made me happier than settling on the "divan" (as my mother called it) with the latest Nancy Drew book from the library.  She subscribed to the Reader's Digest and I read it cover to cover, along with the issues of Good Housekeeping and Woman's Day that were delivered to our mailbox.  I read mysteries, biographies, and all kinds of novels.  I so wish the kids I see who are struggling readers can somehow someway catch a glimpse of the power the written text has, and can at some point, develop a love for reading.  However, when you can't read fluently because you can't blend letter sounds together, or you can't remember sight words, or you look at text and it appears to be nothing but lines and circles, then it's very difficult to want to acquire this skill.
     What are you currently reading?
   
    

4 comments:

bluggier said...

I'd think that your reading of Good Housekeeping and Womens Day would have resulted in many, many more knick-knacks on your house walls and carpet that was coordinated with your bed spread and washing machine...

Anonymous said...

Reading? I thought they made movies so we wouldn't have to read anymore...

-MJP

MamaRedd said...

"Thriller," edited by Clive Cussler, which is a collection of short stories in the suspense genre; I have "Next Door Savior" by Max Lucado, "The Scent of Cherry Blossoms" by Cindy Woodsmall, and "Life Without Limbs" by Nick Vujicic checked out from the library but not started yet. I've always been a fairly active library patron, but since working there have increased the number of books I've checked out. I'm always finding something that looks interesting . . .

MamaRedd said...

Also, the best way to read Nancy Drew is sitting in Dad's recliner, and ingesting one M & M (purchased at the drugstore on the way home from the library for 10 cents) per page . . .