Friday, September 07, 2012

Day Seven

     We just got back from Emporia, where our extended family got together at the Golden Corral to have dinner with my brother Max and sister-in-law Sherri from Michigan, and their friends (and because we have "adopted" them they are our friends), Don and Marilyn Kile.  Max is my oldest brother, and I don't see him very often.  He came to Kansas this weekend because he was invited to play his saxophone at a memorial service for a friend and colleague of his, Alan Hawkins, music professor at KU for many years.
     As we ate and visited, laughed, and relived memories, I looked around at my family of 17 people who were there, and I thought, THIS is it.  THIS is the most important thing to me in the world, and how blessed I am to be a part of this.  I don't deserve it, I didn't ask for it, and for some reason known to only  to God above, I am able to be a participant in this amazing group of people. I never ever ever take that for granted.  Never.  Every moment is precious, and every person in this clan is loved and appreciated for the uniqueness they bring. Those of you who weren't able to make it - we missed you.  There are always holes when people aren't present, and I thought of each of you this evening. 
     Finally - some cool weather!  The heat broke today - in fact, when I was at Dillons around noon it felt so hot, but when I came back to school about 30 minutes later, in that time, a front blew through bringing wind and cooling rain and a good 20 degree temperature drop.  Tonight we have a lovely 65 degrees. Windows are open and it is refreshing.  I'm heading to bed, gonna pick up a book I started and enjoy some down time.  Good night all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that family time is very special. We are so blessed!-Deanna