Sunday, September 23, 2012

Day Twenty Three

     Today is Sunday.  I'm reminded again of how blessed I am to have a family, people who support me, a home, a job, a church family - the list goes on.  And I'm reminded because we have had, the last three Sundays, a visitor attending church who says, and I have no reason to doubt this, who says he lives in a tent in some trees along south 235.  He has attended worship the last 3 Sundays, and is coming for supper on Wednesday nights.  A church member has given him an opportunity to do some contract work, which he has done, and has performed well.  He has not asked for anything until today, when he inquired if anyone knew where he might obtain a bike for transportation.  Arrangements are being made for him to be given a bike this week if possible.  I think he's walking all the way downtown to eat supper every evening at the Lord's Diner - I would say a distance of 8-10 miles or so from where he says his tent is.  A bike would certainly expedite his getting around to where he needs to go, so I'm hoping that will work out for him.
     This week I have training all day tomorrow, then Tuesday I'm at one school, Wednesday the other, Thursday morning back to the first school, Thursday afternoon and evening I have the privilege of prepping for a colonoscopy, Friday is that procedure, so no school for me.  It'll be either a short week or a long week, depending.
     For my Sunday School lesson today, I looked up some examples of oxymorons.  I thought these were interesting:  peacekeeper missile, authentic reproductions, tight slacks, pretty ugly, minor crisis, and, one I used recently, exact estimate.  My friend Denise pointed out there's a town in Kansas which is an oxymoron - Mound Valley.  On this same website I found these, I also found what is known as "Tom Swifties".  Have you heard of these?  Here's a couple of examples: "I have a split personality," said Tom, being frank. "I love hot dogs," said Tom with relish.   Get it?  ....said Tom, being "Frank".  Split personality....ha ha - you get it.  How about, "I need a pencil sharpener, said Tom bluntly."   Or this one:  "I can no longer hear anything", said Tom deftly.  
    And on that note, "Time for bed", said this blogger chiming in."   

No comments: