Sunday, March 23, 2014

Sunday Evening

We had a good day.  The hub is celebrating his 61st birthday tomorrow so our kids came over today after church for lunch and birthday cake, and birthday pie!  I cooked a large roast in the crock pot and it was enough to feed 10 of us, with about 2 oz left.  I started it at midnight yesterday so it was in great shape at 12:30 today.  It was said that I need another house with a big kitchen/dining area.  Don't I know it!  Our family is going to to continue to grow, and even today, we couldn't get everyone around the table - 2 of us were in the TV room.  I am blessed with an expanding family - and our fellowship is warm and homey - but crowded.

The spouse is very unexcited about birthdays - unless you count his reaction last year at his surprise birthday party.  I dare not do that to him again!  He's very much a person who can live without birthday bashes - what's there to celebrate? he says.  He doesn't understand that each passing birthday is a milestone and it is another year in which we are able to tell him how much we appreciate him.  When my son gave the blessing for our lunch he was very eloquent in his own way as he described his dad, and his ministry to us all these years.

Tomorrow it's back to work after a wonderful, just wonderful spring break.  I did some gardening, some napping, some laughing, some crying, some reading, some socializing, some shopping, some traveling - it was really a nice time for me.  50 hour weeks and more will be the order of the day for 2 months until school is out so I'll be worn out by the end of May, I'm sure.

I bring to you the Word of the Day*:

YEAN  n.  To bring forth young - a term from animal husbandry.  Please don't tell ambulance people over the phone that a woman is "yeaning", they may not know what you are referring to.

*From The Superior Person's Third Book of Well-Bred Words" by Peter Bowler.

No comments: