Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Again, with the Facebook!

I have once again deactivated my Facebook profile for a short period of time.  I am finding that it is a bit inconvenient, however, I'm sure there's a "work around".   My reason for doing it this time is simply the conviction that one needs to examine one's priorities on a routine basis and make corrections if things are not what they should be. Although I'm not Catholic, Lent is a good time to examine these sorts of issues.

My daughter tells me this evening, "Facebook just isn't the same without you mom..."  I think she's just trying to tell me I'm missed, and that's always nice to hear, but really, the way people communicate these days has so changed even from 5 years ago.  This Lenten season some are taking up the challenge to "unplug" i.e., turning off cell phones for periods of time and giving up texting and personal email.  It was hard for me to think about going that far, but if asked, I think I could.  I know people who live quite nicely without Facebook, and, only check their email about once a week.  Heck, I live with a guy like that.

As I did when I gave up Facebook temporarily before the election, I will try to blog more.  I feel like I am a writer at heart, but truthfully, life gets in the way of these desires.  It's not just the job but it's other things crowding in too - not necessarily bad things, just things.  I always have a book I'm reading and sometimes more than one - you should check out the top of the cedar chest which is beside my bed.  There are books piled on there - I've got enough right now to last me for a year. Sometimes when I read I think - I could write like this - then the absolute WORK which is required overwhelms me and I discard the idea.  But like a bad penny, it always comes back.

One of the other reasons I'm letting Facebook go for awhile is because there is a situation at one of my schools which has the potential to wreak some havoc - and not only am I a part of that situation, but I'm friends with others who are involved.  I began to realize that I needed to be careful how I responded to posts - and so I just thought it might be easier to not participate until things are more resolved.

In the meantime, I'll try to blog more regularly.   I haven't been convicted about that yet!

No comments: