Thursday, March 20, 2014

Spring?

Today is March 20, 70 degrees, sunny, a little wind, but a beautiful day.  I caught the gardening bug a few days ago and cleaned out the asparagus, and hand tilled both garden boxes, although the one is down about 8 inches in soil and I need to get some more to fill it back up.  Today I bought peas, onions, and potatoes.  I swiped a length of "hogwire" fencing from my brother and it will be just perfect for the peas to crawl up on, so I installed that in the garden bed.  I planted two rows of peas down each side, and a long row of onions.  Cut seed potatoes so they can dry a bit, then I will try to plant them either tomorrow or Saturday afternoon.

I'm trying lettuce and spinach in a "garden table" aforementioned brother made for me.  It's a rectangular thing a bit larger than a 2 cubic foot bag of Miracle Grow potting soil and about 3 feet tall, maybe (I'm no good at estimating measurement).  The Miracle Grow bag will sit on top of the table and be split in half, then you can plant right into the bag.  I'm going to try lettuce and spinach in there.  Right now it's being painted by the other half, who is enjoying a couple of days off work.

I've got iris from the daughter in law and canna bulbs to get in the ground.  Other brother is coming tomorrow morning to do some tilling for me so I can do some landscaping out by the windmill.  You know these things - you do a little at a time as you can.

It's likely we'll have another spell or two of cold weather, but I'm so very thankful for this warm sunny day.  I love that I live in a state with four distinct seasons, and actually, we have quite variable temps, from 110 in the summer sometimes to below zero in the winter.  It just makes you really grateful for the beauty in each season.

We filled up the bird feeders and the bird bath today and there's lots of chirping and singing going on.  I finally saw a robin last week, and today, I've seen a couple hopping along looking for insects and worms.  I hear a cardinal singing his little heart out - he's probably in that big tree in the neighbor's yard - that tree that's just a mess, with deadwood everywhere, and two big limbs, one on each side that makes him look like a grumpy old man -"Hey you kids!  Get off my lawn!"

If you're planting this year - I wish you a prosperous growing season!  I'll let you know when the peas are ready.


No comments: