Sunday, January 29, 2006

Happy Birthday KANSAS

My home state, Kansas, celebrated a 145th birthday yesterday, January 28. I realize the first thing people don’t necessarily think of when describing Kansas is “beautiful” or “breathtaking”.  Words like “flat” and “boring” are much more often used, even by those who claim this state as home.  But not by me.

I unabashedly, unashamedly, and unequivocally love Kansas.  Kansas and the people who live here are home to me.  Even as a child, I loved seeing the golden wheat fields waving in the wind, complimented by a blue sky so beautiful Crayola can’t make a color for it.  I love the flatness of the land and how you can see for miles.  Until you get to the rolling Flint Hills - there’s a place just west of Salina along I-70 that is breathtaking.  The sunrises, the sunsets, the patchwork farmland, the smell of alfalfa, the fields of sunflowers, the clear night skies-Kansas is a treasure to me.  One of these days I’d like to own a patch of Kansas soil-I’d be happy with an acre or so.  Give me a little John Deere tractor and some bib overalls, and I’d be living in heaven on earth!

No comments: