Thursday, June 04, 2009

Word for the day

I recently discovered a book I had purchased many years ago: "The Superior Person's Second Book of Weird & Wondrous Words" by Peter Bowler. I am, by no means, an expert on language or grammar, and I am likely to be bested in a game of Scrabble by several people in my extended family who seem to have a real knack for organizing letters to make words I would have never thought of. But this delightful little book has been quite entertaining for me to once again peruse, so much so that I have ordered from Amazon a used boxed set of 3 books of Weird & Wondrous Words.

From this nifty little book, the word for today is: ADUMBRATE v. To foreshadow in general terms; to sketch out what you intend to do, or what you expect to happen, i.e., "Allow me to adumbrate in general terms the consequences of your continung to block my driveway with your car..."

I, myself, adumbrate the completing of many tasks today, all of which are mundane and trivial, but which are, nonetheless, on my "to-do" list. There ya go.

No comments: