Monday, June 01, 2009

Thoughts regarding recent news

The recent murder of Dr. George Tiller deserves a blog post-however, finding words to say what I think succinctly and clearly so that there is no misunderstanding by my readers is a challenge. We'll give it a try.

First of all, the act was cowardly and malicious. The perpetrator needs to be prosecuted and punished to the fullest extent of the law. I feel no differently about this murder than I do when I consider the crimes of serial killer Dennis Rader or of the murders of 4 people by the Carr brothers. All victims were innocent, all victims were in no way at fault, all victims are loved and missed by their families. I am horrified by this turn of events. However, I wish to offer the following thoughts for your perusal, and for some, perhaps your disagreement. That's okay-you may disagree and thoughtfully post your comments.

I am a pro-life person. It is my contention and belief that every conception is human life and bears a soul. I am adamantly opposed to abortion. My opinion is that this legislation should be returned to each individual state to decide and that the federal government should step out of it.

Point number one:
I do not think it is fair to hold me responsible for what this extremist did on Sunday morning. It appears that in some newspaper columns, and on some news programs, there are those that are branding this crime as coming from the pro-life camp and nothing could be further from the truth. How dare the insinuation be made that those of us who value and respect life above all else would in some way be associated with this lawbreaker, whose heart was full of hatred and vengeance? Forty nine million abortions have been performed since 1973. Forty-nine million persons will never have an opportunity to live life-would you like me to hold you on the pro-choice side responsible for those whose lives ended so abruptly? Is there blood on your hands? Is there blood on mine?
Point number two:
Although I am sure that Dr. Tiller was probably a kind and compassionate man, I will never lose sight of the fact that he indeed, spent his life "terminating pregnancies". Some are saying he was a hero, some are saying he helped them in very difficult circumstances, some are saying he was a saint here on earth and was carrying out the work his God entrusted him to do. I think we need to be horrified by his murder, but also, be horrified by the fact that legally, he ended life for thousands and thousands and thousands of pre-born children. A caller to a radio show I listened to said that when people think of you after you have left this life, they don't think about what you DID, they think about what kind of person you were, and that what you DO in life does not define you.

I tend to disagree just a little bit. A person's work, and what they were able to accomplish in life DOES in some ways, define them. Are we going to say that about Dennis Rader? What he DID does not define him? I hardly think so. What he did personifies who he is. The way I not only do my job but live my life defines me and shows the world, whether it's admirable or not, what my true character is. It does so for every single person, even Dr. Tiller. We cannot as a city, as a state, and as a nation, conveniently "forget" what happened on a daily basis out at that clinic on East Kellogg, and no doubt, will continue to happen as other doctors step in.

Maybe more later.

No comments: