Saturday, November 29, 2008

I just need a PHONE

I washed my cell phone yesterday, necessitating a visit to the local At & T cell phone store. I cannot tell you how much I dislike going over there to conduct any business-it is for me, an exercise in patience above all.

First of all, what would seem to be a simple transaction takes much longer than you think it's going to. We waited in line for almost 20 mintues for service while other people were helped, and we were the second from the beginning of the line-this with three employees helping at the desk. Secondly, the cell phone guy, a young, long-haired, earring sporting, techno-geek kind of guy, seemed to be knowledgeable, but how do I know? I always get the feeling they are pulling one over on me. All I wanted to do was buy another phone, comparable to the phone I washed. My first statement was, I just want a phone I can call out on, and can get calls on. I don't need no camera, no internet, no Bluetooth, no nothing. Just a PHONE.

He looked at me. A phone, he seemed to be thinking. She just wants a phone. He handed me a razor thin black rectangle. Here's a phone, he says. And, he adds helpfully, it has a LARGE display screen. "Does it have a camera?" I queried. And here's the next thing he said to me-"You can't buy a phone without a camera."

There ya go. Did you know that you can't buy a phone without a camera these days? I had no idea. An hour later, I walk out with an inexpensive phone, similar to my old one, but red, and with a camera. The rebate is prepared to be mailed and we are prepared for our next cell phone bill. Just because you are "eligible" for an "upgrade" doesn't mean you are gonna walk out of there without spending more money than you think you should be spending. The guy starts pulling figures out of the air-18.00 connection, 30.00 card, 50.00 phone, 10.00 rebate, do you want insurance for 50.00, (n0), do you want to upgrade your rate plan for only 20.00 more (no), it goes on and on. It is NOT cheap to wash your phone and go get another one. Can't do it.

The lesson in patience continues at home. My old phone was comfortable for me. I liked the ring. I had a lot of numbers in there. I liked everything about it - now I have this stranger I have to get to know. Thankfully, my oldest son came over for supper. He showed me how to use the camera (you never know when you want to take a picture of something someday. With your PHONE.) He helped me with the ring tone. The Hallelujah Chorus is not available on this phone, so I had pick some other ring. He put a few numbers in there. Sigh.

********************

Thanksgiving was very nice. We spent the afternoon and evening at Rebekah's, and enjoyed my first attempt at brining a turkey. It was delicious, and I probably shall prepare future turkeys in this same way. Very tender, and a good flavor.

********************

Last night we had chili for dinner and played games afterward-Josh and Dan were home. I was asked about my chili recipe, but you know, I make it different every time it seems, so there's not much point in writing it down and saying, THIS is the recipe. Today we are going up to Kevin's for more food and visiting. I hope my readers have enjoyed the last couple of days and are mindful of blessings everywhere. I have a couple of other things on my mind and may post again pretty soon, so stay tuned.

1 comment:

bluggier said...

I hope I never have to change phones....