Saturday, November 15, 2008

Election comments

I haven't commented about the election on this blog yet, but lots of blogs I read are discussing it and other issues. It's hard to communicate sometimes in this type of venue without having people misunderstand you, and that's one reason why I don't really talk about controversial issues ("evangelist" Todd Bentley aside). But, I feel like just posting some discussion, maybe asking some questions. If you feel like commenting, I'll post every comment I get, as long as it's respectful.

Most people I work with in the educational arena are members of the Democratic party, and are Obama supporters. Most of the people I go to church with, I assume, are probably more conservative, and voted for John McCain. In my immediate family, some of us went one way, some of us went the other. I would imagine my siblings and their families were quite diverse as well. I know Christians who voted for Barack Obama, and I know Christians who voted for John McCain. Therefore, I propose the following:

1. The election is over with-the people have spoken. Like it or not, we have elected our next president, Barack Hussein Obama. He will be sworn in as our next president of the United States. Christians are exhorted to pray for our leaders, and pray for President-elect Obama, we shall do, or else we will be guilty of not being obedient to what we are called to do.

2. There are among us family members and co-workers, Christians and nonbelievers, who have varying beliefs on key issues such as universal health care, military presence in Iraq and Afghanistan, the death penalty, abortion, environmental issues, and economic relief. We will always work with, go to church with, and live with those who disagree with us about beliefs we may hold dear. There is always room for respectful discussion and respectful disagreement.

3. Speaking of discussion- should it occur about your particular beliefs, be ready to defend your viewpoints and stand up for what you believe. Make your points, but listen to opposing viewpoints. Understand that you probably will never come to a "meeting of the minds", but you can always agree to disagree and remain in positive relationships with those you have philosophical differences with.

4. Finally, as a Christian and as a political conservative, I really do understand how some of my family of faith can become upset at those who they feel have sold out their values with a vote for Mr. Obama. I do get that. There are some Christians who are convinced that we are in for quite a tough time in the next 4 years and I have concerns about this as well. Our culture is not one that respects life, there have been millions of abortions in the last 20 years. We have turned from worshipping the Creator to worshipping the creation, we allow all manner of violence and filth into our living rooms via our cable connections, and we strive after things we think will make us happy at all costs. What conclusion can we come to? It is, obviously, that the political process will not save us from ourselves. Those who put their faith in any political leader no matter who it is, are seriously deluded. I fear that these days, we Christians are not salt and light, we are just like the world we live in and we are growing prouder of our sinfulness every minute. We have failed to live our lives with integrity, so why do we expect that our political leaders will?

Final comments:
No matter who you voted for, if you call yourself a follower of Jesus, then the question remains:
How does one life a life worthy of Him who gave His life for you? The New Testament exhorts us that if indeed, we are Christians, we should shun evil, coarse conversations, gossip, and backbiting. The Apostle Paul challenges us to think about those things that are admirable, lovely, and good. Indeed, as James so eloquently states in his epistle, faith merely spoken of without actions to back it up, is dead. And so I exhort you, dear reader, that your character, who you are when no one is looking, is worth more than you can imagine, because although we your friends and family may not see or know your thoughts, the Father does. And your reputation with your family and friends is priceless - live then, as if you will be called to account tomorrow. This is living a life of integrity. It's rare these days, even inside the walls of the church.

2 comments:

bluggier said...

Well said. I can't improve on this (even though I tried very hard :) )!

Tiffani said...

Better than I have been able to say it....and believe me.....I have been dying to find the words. Thanks for the Blog.