Monday, November 24, 2008

Just stuff

Today was an intense day at work. I had a staffing in another building which I've been preparing for the last couple of months and everything went rather well, considering. I'm so glad it's over and done with-it's been like a cloud hanging over me ever since I was assigned the case. Tomorrow will be a day to catch up on reports and just kind of putter, and I will certainly enjoy three days off this week.

I took Lydia to the vet last Friday evening and she has gained about 5 pounds in the last 3 weeks I've had her. Her skin infection is clearing, and she's looking much better. This evening, I let her out to the backyard after she had her dinner, and a few minutes later, I heard her barking barking barking. I went out to see what all the noise was about, and held the door open for her. She came charging in, and stood in the hallway and looked at me. "What are you barking at, Lyd?" I asked, not expecting an answer. She looked at me and barked this time at ME, as if to say, I was ready to come in you dummy!

We had a scary time last Wednesday with her, when my daughter and I were arriving home after a session at the Dog Wash. As we were getting out of the car with Lydia on her leash, two stray dogs came running up from the neighbor's yard. One was a very large bull mastiff, at least 125 pounds or more, my husband estimated. The other was a yellow lab, very large, at least 80 pounds. To make a long story short, the mastiff picked a fight with Lyd, and I ended up trapping him in the front seat of my car. Animal control came and picked up both dogs. Lydia escaped without any harm, but we filled out witness reports, and will go to court next month. My daughter was the picture of coolness and calmness during this incident, and reflecting back, I'm surprised at how emotional I got.

It has been 8 years since Coco, our last mutt, died of a heart attack in our kitchen. I've waited so long to get another dog because frankly, in one way, it's much easier to live without a dog than it is to live with one. If you don't have a dog, you don't ever have to think about the heartbreak that will come when days, months, or years down the road, this dog's life too, will be over. I asked myself on the way to work today, picturing Lydia looking at me with her ears up, why I would ever want to put myself through that again. Is it worth it?

My brother had a cute little rat terrier that was a part of his family for many years. This little dog came to an untimely end through circumstances that were no one's fault, and dog lover that he is, it was difficult for him to work through it. However, I think, I hope, that it is worth it. Lydia is already a part of this family and bonded to me-she's ornery and playful, and I have let her in. We'll see what happens.

2 comments:

bluggier said...

That's why I've not gotten another pet. When we moved to our current home, I would "see" Susie at the top of the stairs when I came home. I thought a time or two, I was losing it. It isn't worth it, at least for me.
I am, however, glad you found Lydia. She will be a good addition to your family.

Wild Flower said...

I didn't decide it was worth it until I took the opportunity God gave me to find room in my heart for another dog. In any relationship, including people relationships, we have to decide if it's worth the risk of hurt we will feel when things must change. With dogs, it may be different in that they are so dependent on us for their survival and we feel that responsibility for their comfort and care. You are not losing it, but I hope someday, you will come to the place where you will know the joy of another pet relationship, and that you will know and have that peace that it IS worth it. You'll know when or if that time will ever come.