Saturday, November 01, 2008

A broken camel

I'm sure you've heard of the old adage, "The straw that broke the camel's back." Well, I became a broken camel on Wednesday of this week. A little thing, a sort of minor thing, a not really big major thing, broke this camel's neck. I told someone I really didn't see it coming, but I'm not sure that's entirely true. In looking back, I think there were symptoms, I just chose to ignore them, thinking I could handle things. As a famous person once said, "How's that working for you?"

Thursday, I went to work in the morning, but by late morning, was really needing some intervention, so I took a 1/2 day off. What a wonderful day it was! I went to lunch with the old man and got outside to walk around Riverside Park. I went to the church and played the grand piano from 1:30 to almost 4:00. Came home and potted up some houseplants, ordered pizza for supper, and enjoyed the rest of the evening. Friday morning, I went back to work ready to face things, and to speak to the principal about my meltdown. She was understanding, and things were okay.

Last night we enjoyed a time at my brother's house, sort of celebrating with him and my other brother an event which could be a little sad, but in actuality, is just a part of life. Due to circumstances and events, he ended up owning the home place we grew on, located in another county, and although he raised his family there, the property in recent years became rundown and needed vast amounts of labor-intensive work. My brother moved away from it several years ago and rented it out, which is sort of the kiss of death for any property you own unless you can manage to monitor it well, but he, having moved 200 miles away, wasn't able to do that. So for the first time in possibly almost a hundred years, there is no one from our immediate family owning any land or interest in Harper County. But the house had truly become what he called"an albatross", so he was glad to sell it.

Well, time to get going. Have a great weekend.

No comments: