Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Special Day

Today is my 54th birthday. Not a milestone year by any means, but I'm sometimes amazed at how fast time flies by. Surely I can't be 54! Yes I can, and I am.

So I got home from work and my kids had arranged for a pizza delivery for dinner. In addition to my kids and my son-in-law, Michael and Tiffani joined us. What fun we had eating, talking, and we even played a couple of rounds of Liverpool Rummy. At around 8:00ish, Tiffani gave me a massage on her portable massage table-oh my goodness, it was really nice. After the massage I put on my flannels and joined the conversation while people were packing up to go home. It was a good day. She worked out a lot of stiffness in my shoulders and neck, and even worked on my hands-at 54, I'm having some swollen and painful joints in my fingers.

When I left school today, for just a minute or so, I was transported back in time. I walked out around 5:00 into moderately chilly conditions, with a little breeze blowing. The sun was getting low in the sky already, and the smell of wood smoke and maybe some burning leaves drifted into my senses. Oh, those smells! Immediately I thought of fall evenings at the home place, and my dad burning limbs and leaves. We sometimes made "weinie roasting" fires in the outdoor stone fire place and cooked hotdogs on cleaned tree branches or wire roasting sticks.

I was brought back to reality navigating traffic on the way home, and counted my blessings. It's been a good year, and I have much to be thankful for, especially for thoughtful kids who managed to make an ordinary birthday a great day.

4 comments:

Wayne said...

So you're 54! Bingo! Rings a bell. Clara and I were married in '54, just a few months before you were born - July 2. Congratulations!

I enjoy reading your blogs - keeping up a bit with you and your a couple of your siblings. It has been good to make these contacts. Perhaps I should start blogging again soon. And you could come see us again anytime. Just let us know.

WDK

Wild Flower said...

Wayne-I'd like to do that. I knew you hadn't been feeling well, and I didn't want to barge in. Perhaps soon I will make my way up there with a brother or two in tow. I'll let either you or Mervin know so that it will be convenient for you. Thanks for the invite!

Everlasting tales of Joshua said...

I am glad that you had a good birthday. I was glad that we can make your day special.

Rebekah said...

I am happy that you had a good day. You are special to us, and we love you.