Sunday, December 17, 2006

Sunday PM Musings

The wonders of chocolate milk apparently didn't aid my youngest son enough. He still is not feeling very well from his minor surgery a week ago, but at least the swelling is going down some. He doesn't look as much like a chipmunk as he once did.

It's a 3 and 1/2 day work week coming up. I have a staffing first thing tomorrow, where I will explain to some parents that although their kid is wonderful, bright, funny, and a marvelous human being with lots of talents, there's nothing wrong with being average in intelligence. What is intelligence anyway? There's all kinds of theories and all kinds of ways of measuring it, but all in all, you have what you have, and it's up to you to do something with what you have no matter what number on an IQ scale you happen to achieve. Let's hear it for the average kids of the world-of which I am one of. I was never a scholar in elementary school, in fact, I was told that I was "slower" and certainly not in the same realm as my older siblings. And my older siblings ARE smart people, as are my younger siblings-I think any and all of them would achieve pretty high on a Wechsler scale-higher than me. And, I actually married a pretty smart person as well, so it's all around me. But into college, I sorta came into my own and found myself no longer living in the shadows of all those smart siblings who had gone before me and after me. That was probably the best thing about my college years-they were uniquely my own. Here's the moral of the story: An average kid with motivation can accomplish much in life. Moral # 2: You learn more from failures than successes.

Congratulations to my friends Candice, Kris, and Alisyn, recent graduates of the School Psychologist program at WSU. Way to go guys! I wish the best for all three of you-it has been my privilege to know you. You'll all make great school psychs.

No comments: