Friday, December 22, 2006

Birthday Gifts

Today is the FIRST day of my new life...at least my temporary new life. I'm off for the holidays, and don't have to think about things until January 3, although, I probably will end up thinking about things...I know how this works. Anyhow, since I don't have to go to work today, what am I doing up so early? My youngest son's birthday was yesterday. We have a tradition that on his birthday, he gets to go to his favorite breakfast place in the world, "The Good Egg". We couldn't go yesterday, so I get to take him today. And so early because he goes to work at 8:30. The things I do...

After breakfast with Daniel, I get to stop by the grocery store and buy some things for dinner tonight, then come home and try to be domestic. Oh my goodness, the things I have to do to clean this house up. It's amazing. I was telling my sister last night that we couldn't eat Dan's birthday dinner on the table because it's so full of stuff. Help is around the corner however-starting the second week of January, I get to hire my daughter to come in and do some light cleaning once a week. She needs the money, I need the cleaning, it's a good deal for everybody.

I'm really sorta dragging my feet about Christmas this year. We do not (gasp) have a tree, and we drew names in our immediate family, so I'm not buying for everybody. I refuse to join the frantic mobs at the malls and stores-you couldn't pay me to go into a WalMart. I really try to not get sucked into to all the materialistic aspects of Christmas, but unless you live in a cave for two or three months, it touches you somehow anyway. But, it's all in your persepctive. A couple of lines from the little musical our choir did at church last Sunday go like this: "A gift for a King should be a simple thing...I will give to this King...my heart."

What does Jesus want us to give Him for His birthday?

No comments: