Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What I'm thankful for

I go back to work in, let's see, exactly 3 weeks and 6 days. I am not bragging, just stating facts. My brain is already turning to my job - I loaded scoring software on the school laptop I have. I am wading through a technical book about evaluating children who are not native English speakers and who are struggling in school. I am thinking about my new assignment, and am hopeful that it will be a good match for me. And, I am grateful in this economy that I have a job, that I for the most part love what I do, that I get paid enough to pay bills, and that I have this break in the summer to de-stress.

My thoughts turn to many who are struggling to find and maintain employment these days. My youngest son has some promising leads and hopefully will be able to find work soon. My daughter in law has been hired at a local grocery store and will start in a few days, and my middle son at least is working part time, however, he has no benefits. My daughter has been able to work at a temporary job this summer which has helped them out, and my son in law remains employed full time, at a job he doesn't particularly like, but a job he is grateful to have. My husband's employment at both of his jobs looks secure, as does mine, but I know that life can "turn on a dime" in a matter of seconds. I really do try to take nothing for granted-each day, each moment is a gift.

Speaking of taking things for granted, how many of you got up this morning and flushed a toilet, ran water in a sink, or did a load of laundry? If you are connected to a city sewer system, you did these things without a thought of where the waste water was going. If you however, are on a septic system, then you unfortunately, may have to think about that from time to time. My brother had a little difficulty with his septic system last weekend and it brought home to me that I take a lot in my life for granted. It never dawned on me to be grateful for a sanitary city sewer system, but I am now. And I'm re-thinking my whole, "I wanna live out in the country some day" idea. Maybe I really LIKE having a dependable sewer system. We'll see.

No comments: