Monday, July 20, 2009

Mixed Bag

Good Monday morning! Although I wasn't able to begin my porch trim painting project today, or to mow, (alas, it rained), I LOVE the cooler temperatures. For today's blog entry, how about three comments regarding money? Give me Frustrating Situations for 100, Alex.

I hear that our beloved county commissioners are thinking about closing the Kansas Colisuem pavilions. This after spending 6 MILLION dollars of taxpayer money to upgrade the pavilions collected with an additional sales tax, which also funded the downtown Intrust Arena. Although there are many groups who use the pavilions, they continue to lose a half a million dollars a year. I dunno. I'm tired of people spending my money. Did they know when they voted to spend that 6 million on improvements that the pavilions were losing money like that? Seems like somebody should have known that. Anybody in charge here?

Speaking of money, because some of us have been conservative in our use of city water, and because we've been blessed with good rain and weather has been moderate causing people to irrigate less, revenues are reduced. Is this reduction of the use of natural resources a good thing? No. Our city council is pondering an increase in water use fees to make up these revenues. The average Joe cannot win. You use less utilities, you get to pay more. You use more utilities, you get to pay more. Hello???

And speaking of money one more time, the council is going to vote tomorrow on whether or not to spend 85,000 to approve a contract with a landscaping firm to to DESIGN the landscaping, bike path, and decorative lighting along the east bank of the river. Doing the actual project will cost 2 million. I'm just... does it really cost 85,000 to DESIGN a bike path? Really? It really does?

And finally, just for grins, let's review the most common spelling mistakes on resumes. Here ya go: "Dear Sir or Madmen, I'm attacking my resume for you to review. Following is a grief overview of my skills. I have a keen eye for derail."

I'd like to derail something. Instead, I'll just have lunch. Until later!

No comments: