Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Day Eleven

     I finally made it home about 5:45 tonight.  On Tuesdays I meet with the new psych I'm mentoring and sometimes, it lasts awhile..  I feel like a mama watching her baby fly the nest - she is very knowledgeable and has been well educated but she's in that odd position where she's trying to apply head knowledge to specific work situations.  She will have her horizons expanded considerably this year, and realize that in this field, like so many others, there are few black and white answers.  I well remember my internship year - it was probably the hardest thing I've ever done.  I spent many nights at home working, studying, reading, trying to understand, researching, and yes, there were a few tears.  It was at once the most frustrating and the most rewarding thing I've ever completed.
     Normally I attend a Tuesday evening Bible study, but did not make it this evening.  I needed some down time and just felt like an evening at home was what the doctor ordered.  It's a warm evening - I have the windows open but it's still a little stuffy in here.
     I hear the Chicago teachers are on strike.  We were encouraged today, via email, by our local union to not only wear a certain color for solidarity on Friday, but also to send that organization funds to support the teachers efforts to gain a better contract.  I have enough problems sending my own union 75.00 a month for dues - I somehow do not have any extra funds to send to striking teachers.  And that's about all I'm going to say about that, other than, I hope they go back to work.  And real soon.
     My sister wanted titles of books I'm reading.  "The Litigators", by John Grisham, "Colorado!", by Dana Fuller Ross, and "The Virgin of Small Plains" by Nancy Pickard.  And now you know all my secrets.  Almost!
     I posted this, then remembered that I just wanted to mention that I have certainly been thinking about what happened this date 11 years ago.  I still cannot watch footage of this event without feeling my heart break once again.  My prayers are for this nation and our leaders, for those who serve in our military, for an end to this war, and for peace.  The words to this hymn come to mind: 

"A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing;
Our Helper, He, amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing.
For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe;
His craft and power are great, and, armed with cruel hate,
On earth is not his equal."

"Did we in our own strength confide, our striving would be losing;
Were not the right Man on our side, the Man of God's own choosing;
Dost ask who that may be?  Christ Jesus, it is He; Lord Sabaoth, His name,
From age to age the same, And He must win the battle."

"And though this world, with devils filled, should threaten to undo us,
We will not fear, for God hath willed His truth to triumph through us;
The prince of darkness grim, we tremble not for him; His rage we can endure,
For lo, his doom is sure:  One little word shall fell him."

"That word above all earthly powers, no thanks to them, abideth;
The Spirit and the gifts are ours, through Him who with us sideth.
Let goods and kindred go, this mortal life also; the body they may kill;
God's truth abideth still:  His kingdom is forever."

"A Mighty Fortress is our God"
Words and music by Martin Luther

No comments: