Monday, January 15, 2007

The wheatstalks are standing a little better

Well, whaddya know. WSU beat Creighton. I'm...amazed, delighted, and, well, amazed and delighted. Here's a quote from a blog from www.kansas.com: "It seems like whenever WSU is up, KU is down, and vice versa. It was nice to see them both win tough, close games against opponents that mattered!" Yes, I would agree. Wouldn't you, Michael? I'm personally thrilled, just thrilled for the Jayhawks!

So on to school psych stuff. I had my first staffing last week for a kid with MR. It was tough, much tougher than I thought it would be. Got some encouraging words from the school psych coordinator, so felt I better about things, but man, I would have done things differently I think. It's never easy to deliver this sort of news. Did a staffing also for a kiddo that didn't qualify for LD, although she definitely has learning problems-that LD definition is just problematic all the way around. I need to look up some more info about the Response to Intervention (RTI) model and how LD is determined there. Here in Wichita we need a 24 point discrepancy between achievement and IQ, but we also have a "Nonstandard LD Determination" we can use, however, this kid didn't quite fit that either. She's 2nd grade, so I think after she's failed this year and next, then she'll have that 24 point discrepancy. Such a shame. We have to fail first before we can get the help we need to be successful - does this make sense to anybody?

Coming up in the next 10 days I have 2 more LD staffings and 2 re-evaluations I haven't even started on. Several kindergarten kids with DD labels are turning 6 in the next 4 weeks or so, so I gotta figure out what to do with them. Organization and prioritizing are about 90% of this job. There are times that I just simply take the time to update my calendar (if you're a school psych, consider getting yourself a Franklin-Covey Educator's Planning Book-it's WONDERFUL) and make sure I have everything on there. I can't remember jack cheese these days.

1 comment:

bluggier said...

jack cheese
jack cheese
jack cheese
jack cheese

:)