Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Is it spring yet?

It's been a few days since my last post, so I thought I'd leap in here and get something going before heading off to school. I've had an interesting last few days. It seems that a day doesn't go by without me learning something about this job that I didn't know the day before, and from all indications, that will continue past internship. "They" say it takes 5 years of practice before you can consider that you have reached a level of competency needed in order to function well in this job. I believe it.

Among the highlights: I worked with a kid who had an IQ 3 years ago of 128, and, who reads almost 3 grade levels below his current placement. I visited with a 5th grade kid last week who drew me a detailed picture of him in full gang regalia, with his gang name printed on his chest. There was the parent who, after a complete evaluation was done on their child which indicated a severe learning disability, will not sign off on getting their child help. And the teacher who questioned my ability to do my job. There ya go. I told you I learn something new every day.

There's ice and snow and cold, and sorta dreary days which add to the general feeling of, I'd really like spring to get here. I dreamed last night that I drove through a neighborhood and saw tulips and jonquils blooming. That's my subconscious saying, ok! Enough snow already. But my subconscious doesn't know that snow is great for wheat, and wonderful for the parched farmland around that hasn't seen enough rain the last few years. I think God knows what He's doing, even if we don't know what He's doing.

1 comment:

bluggier said...

You can buy a pot of tulips at Dillons for what, $4.99? We got one and put it in the living room. I rather enjoy it. Gets me a little more revved up.