Wednesday, May 31, 2006

What do I want to write about today? I dunno. Let’s start with this: I’m really enjoying being out of school. In addition to working 20 hours weekly, I’ve got several projects started, all of which, if I told you about them, would have you bored to tears within seconds. One thing I’m really liking about this part time schedule is that I get to practice the piano almost every day. My son, who is a better classical player than I am, is giving me “lessons”. He’s assigned me a couple of pieces to work on, plus I also have dragged out my scales book “The Complete Book of Scales, Chords, Arpeggios, & Cadences”, “Includes all the Major, Minor (Natural, Harmonic, Melodic) & Chromatic Scales-Plus additional instructions on music fundamentals"...just in case you were asking WHAT scales book…and am playing scales every day. One of my life’s goals is to be able to play a piece by Beethoven called “Sonate Pathetique”. The adagio cantabile portion of this piece is some of the most beautifully written music I’ve ever played.

Do you have any life’s goals that would involve you learning something new? I’m not necessarily talking about climbing the Andes Mountains (unless that indeed is your goal, then more power to ya), nor am I really talking about ethereal intangible things (that’s another topic for another day). I’m just asking if any of you would like to share on this page any specific goals you have, and are working towards in this life. Maybe you would like to learn to knit, or to run a mile without collapsing, or give up one meal a week in order to spend time meditating, or learn about stars and planets and constellations. I hate to own up to some of these (knitting! really!) but all of these plus many more are on my to learn list. Maybe you’re a busy mom, a student, and an employee-or you do all three of those jobs, like several people I know. Believe me, I understand that. But I would encourage you to take a little time for yourself, if to do nothing more than to think. To ponder. And to dream. You’re worth it.

No comments: