Monday, May 08, 2006

Monday Musings

We had intermittent internet service yesterday-I called our internet provider. A nice young man came on the line to assist me. We had just gotten started, and I noticed the tone of his voice took on a sort of patient “I know I’m talking to an older woman who probably doesn’t know where the ‘enter’ is on her keyboard” quality as he began asking me questions. Fortunately my younger son came in the room so I immediately asked him to intervene. Well. In about 30 seconds they were discussing routers, connections, and alphabet soup, you know, ISP, and all that. Turns out our router, (one of four box type structures on the top of our computer desk) is not sending a good signal. Works sometimes, doesn’t work other times. I don’t really know about this stuff. But I’m glad I have a kid who can converse fairly intelligently with these people - he’s always sorta functioned as our own inhouse tech support.

Next to the last week of practicum. Two more weeks of spending 50.00 a week on gas just to get to work. It’s been a bummer to do that, but it has been a valuable experience. We’re wrapping up some evaluations this week and I’m also going to give the “Test of Visual Perceptual Skills” for the first time. I hear it’s not too bad. I brought it home to practice on my oldest son but didn’t catch him to do it.

Graduation this Saturday! There are only 4 of us graduating in the school psychology program this semester, but I think that's probably a bit more than what they generally have, which is 2, maybe 3 graduates a semester. We'll be walking with the College of Education, and will be called to the platform after the doctoral candidates and before the master's degree graduates. I was asked at church yesterday if it was about over, I replied rather enthusiastically, “oh yes!” The questioner stated, “I could see it in your face! You look great!” That, my friends, is what going back to school at 45 will do for you, once you’re finished six and a half years later. People start telling you how “great” you look. By the way, I need to let you know that I saw proof finally, on Thursday, that my incomplete grades were finally changed, and now, I don't have to hang on by fingernails anymore. I'm feeling much relief. Barb, Deb and Sylvia-see you Saturday on a milestone day for us. In case I don't get to say it Saturday, it's been a privilege for me to get to know you. You are all going to be great school psychologists. Congratulations!

No comments: