Saturday, March 25, 2006

Spring break is OVER

It’s Saturday, the day before the day before spring break ends. I just spent a restful two days in the Branson area with family, arriving back home last night. Restful? Those of you who know Branson, with all the billboards, signs, traffic, and eye pollution as far as you can see might wonder how anyone can even remotely think about “resting” in such an environment.
Depends on where you are. We have discovered a little place to stay tucked down on the end of Indian Point road-it’s not a Hilton Hotel, a Hampton Inn, or even a Best Western, but it suits our purposes for relaxation quite nicely. And the price is right as well. Once you get down there, you can just stay there, and not venture out much. You can cook your own food, or get food to eat at the little grocery across the street, which also serves hot meals. It’s within 300 yards or so of Table Rock Lake, and if you like, during the summer, you can rent a boat or skis. You can make coffee in your room, and in nice weather, there are places to sit outside and visit. We discovered a nice little “Irish” pub within walking distance, maybe a ½ mile or so away. Went inside, and enjoyed the Irish ambience. The proprietor invited us back for lunch the next day, he was serving Mexican food. Ok. Just so I know how THAT works.
We did see a show on Thursday evening, the first one I have been to since I lived in that area 30 years ago. I am a graduate of what is now the College of the Ozarks, having finished school there in 1976. Don’t get me started on what dreams and ambitions I had 30 years ago, and how we end up differently than we ever think we will. That’s a blog for another time and place.
Now I’m back home and it’s early on a Saturday morning. I took my laptop and material to work on reports while I was there. I endured some teasing from a brother who said to me, “Oh, come on. You aren’t going to work while you’re there.” He was right. I did review some things but didn’t type one thing! So today it’s unpacking, laundry, going to the store, and working on reports. AAUUGGHHH.
It was good to visit with Paul and Melissa and Julie as well. Lifelong friends you met in college are fairly rare. Although there have been times that we have gone awhile without corresponding, we have always remained in touch and I am grateful for their friendship. They SOMETIMES read the blog, and I was gently reminded that I need to write in it oftener so that they WILL read it…I get the hint guys!
If you’ve made it this far in this blog, I have other news…my beloved Shockers lost to George Mason last night. I love it that they even made the Sweet Sixteen, and what a deal if they would have gone on. But I’m so proud of them anyway. I’m not a rabid fan, but I sure do cheer them on. Now I don’t care who makes it to the Final Four and onward. I’ve lost all interest!

No comments: