Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Ta Dah!

I’m back among the living!  Did ya miss me?  I’ll spare you the gory details, but for the last 4 days I’ve been battling the effects of a stomach virus.  I’ll tell ya, there’s nothing like a good old-fashioned stomach flu to help you find your priorities in life.  At one point my priorities were focused on a single feat:  to lay as perfectly still as I could, without moving not even an eyelid muscle, with the bedspread pulled over my head.  I had hoped (in vain) that this meditative posture would help quell the rising tide of…

Well, I digress.  After 3 days of water and broth, and one day of the BRAT diet, I am embarking on my first day of “real” food, and will go to work for half a day.  (BRAT = bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. It was great.  Thanks for asking.)  A complicating factor is getting used to a new regimen of diabetes meds, but I think I will survive that too.  Ms. Pancreas should be extra happy.  I haven’t really made her work very hard the last 4 days.  It doesn’t take much insulin to digest water or broth - admit it, Ms. P!  
Candice commented that I shouldn’t spend so much blog time yelling at a body part.  She’s right!  (If you just ignore the behavior of the alleged body part, it will “extinguish” itself.  Whatever works…)

So it’s back to thinking more like a school psychologist and less like a flu victim.  On my schedule this week, besides another funeral to attend, is to get some information about a “baffling” student no one can quite get a handle on, a little one on one counseling with a student from a situation you can’t imagine anyone surviving intact from, and some time spent learning to give a test I’ve not given before.  Fortunately, my first victim of this new test is a young child – I have discovered they are most forgiving when it comes to working with adults who are unsure of themselves.

It’s good to be up and going today.

  





  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're feeling better! By the way, I've heard of the BRAT diet, my roommate was sick and used it.