Saturday, February 25, 2006

Post Flu

I got the flu, I got over the flu, and I’m just now getting around to doing another blog entry-  I’m getting gently “nagged” about it from my sis.  “I go to your blog EVERY DAY,” she says.  Ok, ok.  I’m all over it.

I’ve been wrestling with “mysterious” things this week.  As you may know if you live in this area, there have been several cases of rather horrific child abuse making the local news recently. This tends to bring about contemplation of God’s sovereignty and how He can allow what happens in the world.  There’s another situation I’m aware of in which there is some intense suffering (this is not a child abuse situation) and, the appearance of God’s unwillingness to do anything to relieve it.  In yet another situation, also this week I heard of someone whose grandchild died and now, this person has cut off all relationship with a Creator, and won’t allow anything having to do with God spoken of in their home.  

I think every person since the dawn of time has struggled at some point with the question of evil and of God allowing it to exist.  It’s a mystery, but in our humanness, we want answers.  We want to get it figured out.  If you’ve always wondered about these things, be cautious of those that would like to enlighten you.  Chances are, they don’t know either.  They’ve just found something that fits neatly into their framework of thinking and they may become frustrated with you if it doesn’t fit as neatly within yours.

Work is going well.  I keep saying that I’m learning a lot, and really, that’s my number one goal in this job.  This week I learned that different school buildings have different “personalities”, so to speak, mainly due to the decisions, goals, and even personality types of the top administrators within the building.  I learned that not everyone plays by the same rules, and that some either ignore the rules, or invent their own.  And the other thing I relearned, even though I’ve already had this lesson several times in my life, is that you learn more by listening than you ever do by talking.  Just listen.  Observe.  Think.  Question.  Then listen some more.          
    

No comments: