Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Good Morning

Driving to work is always an exercise in appreciating Kansas sunrises. However, now that the day starts earlier, I can see the fulfillment of what the Painter is creating on His sky canvas And the last few days, the words to a hymn going all the way back to the 18th century come to mind. They are:
“When morning gilds the skies my heart awaking cries:May Jesus Christ be praised! Alike at work and prayer, to Jesus I repair: May Jesus Christ be praised!”
You might think the word “repair” is an odd word to use in the text, but one of the definitions of this word is “to go frequently or habitually”. I like that. But I also like thinking of it in a more modern way-to Jesus I go for repairs! Because, man, do I ever feel broken. And, you notice the hymn writer specifically mentions “at work”. They didn’t have school psychologists in the 18th century. So how did HE know I was going to need to think about this text while driving a machine down a highway at speeds he’d never gone in his life?

He didn’t. But I would imagine upon awakening in the mornings, he might have felt broken too. As he began his chores early in the day, he marveled at the sunrises of the Painter - and more than 200 years later, his words live on. They speak to someone who is experiencing a life he could never in his wildest dreams imagine.

There are 14 verses in all to this hymn. See them at: http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/w/h/e/whenmgts.htm

1 comment:

Wild Flower said...

Thanks Candice. I miss seeing you! Hope all is well, especially with, um, your Thursday night class...