Wednesday, April 09, 2014

They move on

There are many of us in education roles for various reasons, but I'd put money that most of the reasons  have to do with "making a difference", "helping", "caring about kids", and other sentiments similar.  For me, it was actually several reasons, I was stuck in a dead end job and wanted the challenge of something different, I was encouraged by a friend who was already in the program to pursue these two graduate degrees, and I felt like I could be an advocate for children and families.  I also had a more personal reason for doing this as one of my children struggled greatly in school and we never really knew why he did.  We went to a meeting surrounded by a lot of people speaking an unfamiliar language and walked out without asking a single question.

People who are in this profession generally called "education" and who work with kids know that life goes on, and eventually, children leave your care.  Such is the case with my friend, Peter (not his real name).  Peter has attended the same school for almost every year from Pre-K through 5th grade, and has been advocated for, sheltered, cared for, loved, and, the subject of many meetings since his first day with us.  We have struggled with him, laughed with him, and watched him make progress in his own way.  Our team has worked endlessly to figure out how he learns best.  I've gone home many nights in the last six years thinking about him and about the decisions we've made, always with his best interest in mind and always with great care and concern.  I've been responsible for every single evaluation he's ever had since he came to us and there have been many.

He is leaving us this year and going on to middle school - but not going to middle school here in this district.  He's going to another state, and thus, my professional association with him and his mother will come to an end.  Many people not familiar with him will be reading my evaluations and reports with a critical eye.  They will wonder at many decisions we've made - and I wouldn't be surprised if I get a phone call or two.

A long time ago, Peter stopped being "that kid" and became a part of my heart.  I can't write that in an evaluation, can I.  Our very last meeting with mom and all of his providers for yet again, another psychological evaluation happened a few days ago.  It's the last one, and in just a few weeks, he'll be gone.  When I look back over my career, he will be one of the few children I will never forget, and who I will think about the rest of my days.  His needs are great.  His resources are few.  His home life is dysfunctional.  But he's OUR kid and we proudly claim him.  As he goes on to adventures unknown, I hope he has good memories of his time with us.  His mother says he says, "I do not leave this school!"  But, he will soon realize that he must, and my prayer is that he will find kind, caring, compassionate, patient educators who will soon catch a glimpse of what he can do, and help propel him toward reaching his potential and beyond.  I hope we've built a good foundation for him.  Off you go Peter!  May God surround you with educators who will grow to love you like we do.

1 comment:

bluggier said...

Bless you and all who do the work that you do. God is indeed in the public school system...in the hearts and lives of countless people such as yourself.