Thursday, April 03, 2014

City Wildlife

Notice I didn't say "City NIGHTLife".  That's for people younger than me.

The last 3 days we've been working on catching a possum who decided to burrow his/her? way under the house by making a hole between the siding and the foundation.  The possum showed up to work each night on this hole, and I, hearing noises outside the window, actually called 911 one night to report someone trying to break in, I just didn't realize it was of the furry, long-nosed, ugly variety (oh wait, that description WOULD apply to most common criminals...)  Anyhow, on Monday night, I heard the same racket outside and instead of bothering the beat officer, I went outside to look with a flashlight.  There was the hole.  And there inside was a beady eyed, long snouted hissing creature, similar to my congressional representative, only cuter (oh wait, that description would apply to MOST congressional representatives...)

Anyhow, the first night the trap was set, nada.  Second night we caught a feral cat I had only seen glimpses of in the night.  Third night voila!  It went for a ride and hopefully can't swim back across the river to my home.  We're leaving the trap up in case there are other congressional representatives living under my house.

Here in the heart of the city we've got possums, skunks, I heard several years ago of a deer in this part of town, and someone told me once they were sure they'd seen a fox or two.  And don't forget the raccoons but at least they have cuteness going for them.  No matter where you go, you share your space with varmits and vermin.  I'm sure there's a reason God made possums but good grief, they are just evil.

Did you know that possums are marsupials?  Other interesting info can be found at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opossums

Interesting reading about the male and female reproductive systems...

1 comment:

bluggier said...

I know enough about the male and female reproductive systems...been there, done that...