Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Haitian Orphan Rescue

Maybe you read recently or heard about the group of Baptists from the US who went to Haiti in an effort to rescue orphans by taking them to the Dominican Republic to an "orphanage" (a building which had been a hotel) and then possibly trying to bring them back here for adoption. Ten American Southern Baptists were arrested at the border between the Dominican Republic and Haiti, having in their possession 33 children from 2 months to 12 years old. These folks knew that they did not have the proper paperwork or permission from the Haitian government for such a mission, however, one of the members of the group defended their actions by saying, "...we were just trying to do the right thing." According to the Associated Press, no charges have been filed yet as the Haitian government is still questioning the detainees. Also, there are reports that many of these children were not orphans at all and still had families willing to continue to provide care for them.

"We were just trying to do the right thing." Really. I don't think so. You know, I'm a Southern Baptist. And from time to time, I get in conversations with people who think that somehow, I'm part of the Baptist clan in Topeka who preach a gospel of hate (the Fred Phelpites at Westboro Baptist, and no, I'm nowhere near them in theology or anything else) - and so I am glad I can disown them as they aren't even on my planet in terms of religious beliefs. But these folks - these Baptists who went to Haiti are a part of my "family" so to speak. And I am appalled. And aghast. And saddened. And upset. And speechless. And aghast. (I already said that, I know).

Well intentioned, perhaps. Well meaning, maybe. But as Wade Burleson, pastor and faithful blogger says, "Unfortunately, our Southern Baptist friends were...very unwise, yes, even stupid." (http://kerussocharis.blogspot.com/). I am amazed that normally intelligent Christian people would somehow think that it was ok to do this, and that somehow, God would bless them, give them "traveling mercies", and help them find success in this mission. Why, oh why and how oh how do people ever think that God would sanction such an endeavor? And how on earth did they ever conceive that working outside the law would be endorsed by Baptists back here at home? How misguided they were! This casts a unfortunate shadow on the good work that Southern Baptists ARE doing in Haiti - we are providing disaster relief, medical help, and other aid as we always do worldwide when disaster strikes, and we do it through proper channels and with swift and timely execution. Check out the International Mission Board's website for further information about that if you're interested (http://www.imb.org/).

I don't know what should happen to these people, but my heart is broken for how this act of stupidity might impact what Southern Baptists and other relief organizations are doing, those who continue to work there with blood, sweat and tears and who are accomplishing their labors within the law, above board, and with respect for the people of Haiti. I am truly, deeply, saddened.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is it that some people's interest in "doing the right thing" seems to be directly proportionate to the amount of laws they can break in the process? I would hope, but I doubt, that there isn't something at work in their minds that says the more man opposes it and makes it difficult, the more Godly it must be.

For the same amount of money this misadventure is costing them they could have rebuilt the houses some of these children were living in, and fed their families to boot.

Unknown said...

Hi,

My name is Heather Jones and I am the assistant editor of Epsychologist.org. I am contacting you today in hopes of developing a relationship with your website; we have seen your site and think your content is great. Epsychologist.org offer a free informational resource to both the general and professional public on several issues.

I hope you show some interest in building relationship, please contact me at heather.epsycholosgist.org@gmail.com.

bluggier said...

Phelpites???