Saturday, August 22, 2009

Still learning lessons

I told my sister, I like Saturdays and I hate Saturdays. I like them when there's not a lot to do except just putz around and do what I want. I hate them when they are crammed every minute with some chore to do and some errand to run. Today has been one of the latter. I went to work out, went to WalMart and grocery shopped, unloaded all the bags, put everything away, and hopped right out on the porch to get some more painting done. The weather today has been fantastic-perfect painting weather. The Man is slowly and methodically repairing and painting the screens, and we are making progress, I guess. I think this is going to be something that takes me another 2-3 weeks to get completely done. In the middle of that today, we had a leaky toilet needing repair. A simple fix (we hope), but time consuming to do it.

We got another roof estimate last night, and are immediately impressed with the company representative. We just LIKED him, and I can't really tell you what about him was so special. There were several things about his bid that we thought would be better than what we've seen so far so we may have found our winner.

So my daughter is having a get together at her house, and I think I'll go over for a little bit. I'm going to make a couple of taco rings to take with me so that's probably why she wants me to come over there. (Just kidding, I think.)

I've finished the second week of school and things are okay. At the new building, it's all about learning a new system, however, it's made easier by the people I've met and have started working with. I am sharing a large office with two other staff members who are there full time and we seem to be compatible in terms of conversation, work ethic, etc. Our desks are facing each other, so that's a little weird, but it'll be ok. One of the things I like about this job is that I get to meet the most interesting people-sometime I'll have to tell you about Lois (not her real name). She's one of my office mates, and she's just intriguing to me. She's single and was raised in the Mennonite faith in a small community north of here. I've already been blessed by her overtures of friendship, to me-a stranger trying to fit in to this new workplace.

See, I was not enthused when I was first shown my workspace, and when I realized there would be two other people in there. The first plan was going to be to house me in a small space in another hallway by myself. But had the principal stuck to that plan, I would have not ever experienced this blessing of this friendship, and of getting to know both of these staff members. I would have certainly felt more isolated and alone. Lesson: Let go and let God do His thing. It might just be something that will be beneficial to you in the long run.

1 comment:

bluggier said...

You're still learning lessons, dear? Of course, we all are. Blessings to you on your work at the new school.