Saturday, August 15, 2009

Saturday Musings

Every single person you meet and get to know, even on a casual basis, can teach you something, and I suppose that's why I find people fascinating. I am assigned to two schools, 3 days at one and 2 days at the other. I am working for two very competent, professional, building principals who could not be more different in their management style - they are as opposite as day and night. I'm not saying that one style is preferred over the other, I'm just saying they are different. Consequently, there are different expectations of me, their school psychologist. One school is a new assignment, so I'm on a learning curve when it comes to figuring out what I need to do to fit in with a new team and to do my job so that we work together in achieving what we want. At the other school, I'm beginning my 4th year, and it fits comfortably like an old glove. I don't have to worry so much about those things - I've been there longer than the principal, which in an odd sort of way, makes me feel better!

At the team meeting at the new school this week, I did not say anything, I just watched and listened. And learned.

*****************
On a different subject, how are you feeling about the health care reform bill that's in the news, almost as much as the untimely death of Michael Jackson was? Personally, I'm tired of hearing about extremist opinions on both sides of the debate. According to factcheck.org, there are seven falsehoods prevelent about the current arguments for and against this bill. Here they are:
False: Government will decide what care I get (a.k.a. Grandma won't get a hip replacement).
False: The bill is paid for.
False: Private insurance will be illegal.
False: The House bill requires suicide counseling.
False: Families will save $2,500.
False: Medicare claims will be slashed.
False: Illegal immigrants will be covered.

I would encourage you to check out this website. It has been up and running for years, and is not in the hands of any particular political party. There appears to be good documentation regarding why these claims are false. I don't mind good debate on these issues, but I hate arguing when people on both sides distort facts and present it as truth. If you want to talk about the issues, do it honestly. This is why I hate even talking about this. There are those who, even when presented with the facts will hold on to their opinion as truth. Don't do that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good advice, Marianne. I couldn't put it any better.
Clara

bluggier said...

Thank you. I didn't put it any better.