Saturday, December 06, 2008

Minutia and a question

It's Saturday evening, and I'm watching "Huckabee" on FOX, and just "chilling out". I've had a busy week and it's nice to just sit here! I need to go clean up the dishes and do some other chores yet though, so I shouldn't get too comfortable.

Lydia update: She had another vet vist today and is parasite free. Ears are still infected, and one reason is because it's such a chore to treat them. It takes two people, and I often am the only one here. I only got them "doctored" 3 days last week, so I need to be more faithful in doing that. She is continuing her food scavenging behavior, unfortunately, and the vet says she always will. She is at a good weight now, and really doesn't need to gain more, but this dog is in continual food hunt mode. Her taste buds really got spoiled when she lived on her own- I would imagine she ate all kinds of things she shouldn't have, but which taste good to dogs. We had a cranberry coffee cake on the table which was from Starbucks, and which was given to my husband by a grateful client. Lydia was happy to help herself to this coffee cake when I was in the bathroom getting ready for work-she was able to drag it off the table and tear the plastic wrapper off of it. More than half the frosting was gone when I caught her and scolded her good. She put her tail between her legs and looked at me like, "Who, me? I didn't do nothing..."

Lots of things in the news to comment about-the unfortunate incident where the man providing security at a WalMart lost his life on Black Friday; bailouts for the auto industry, a Wichita man arrested and charged with more than 100 counts of animal cruelty as he had numerous pit bulls chained up and starving on a farm in Okahoma; OJ going to jail; neighbors; working with children who don't know when they'll eat next at home; going to the Mosely Street Melodrama today for a Christmas party; etc etc etc. Blogs can serve many purposes-people can write about the minutia of their lives and they can express opinions about current issues. Blogs can be useful in following someone's career and daily activities. Blogs also allow people to have a glimpse into others' thoughts and feelings, and you can get to know someone fairly well from reading their blog if they have truly shared from their heart. Discussion often ensues from a posting, and this is not a bad thing-discussion is communication.

I'd like to ask those who read my blog-why do you read it? And if you have your own blog, why? What do you hope to accomplish with it? Let's discuss!

4 comments:

bluggier said...

Well, I read yours because you write well, and I can keep up with what's going on in your life a little better than just visiting would accomplish. Besides, you always tell your sister things and never tell me anything :).
I have a blog because I like to write, whether or not someone reads it. I hope people who want to read it do so, and also hope that they feel free to comment. I don't have comment moderation enabled for that reason.
As for accomplishments, perhaps in future years, someone in my family will want to read it...grandkids, etc. I am saving all my blogs in PDF format. I call up all of the months' blogs, then print the very long page to a PDF file. Who knows who might like to read it 50 years from now.

Wild Flower said...

I've been thinking about taking the comment moderation off. There's only been one time in the 3 years I've had this blog that I haven't published a comment. It was posted anonymously and in very poor taste.

Wayne said...

Interesting questions. I started blogging at the suggestion of my daughter who thought it would be a good outlet for my desire to write more. It has provided that for me, as I do enjoy expressing myself that way, and probably do better at that than orally.

I enjoy reading your blog, and your other siblings (do all your siblings blog?) because you are part of my extended family. It has given me the privilege of learning to know you as the adult people you now are as compared to the "children of my oldest sister" you once were to me.

Thanks for inviting us your readers to answer your questions. It caused me to stop and think more about what's behind this thing we somehow call blogging.

WDK

Rebekah said...

I read it because I like the way your write. It also makes me feel like you are with me while I am reading it. I know that sounds kinda weird, but when I miss you I check your blog.