Friday, May 16, 2008

To teach or not to teach...

I have been very busy the last 2 weeks, and haven't had time to think about posting anything. It is difficult to explain to others what this time of year is like. My job has consumed my thoughts the last several weeks, and I am looking forward to some relief. After today, it'll be better. After Monday it will be a whole lot better. And after next Thursday, it will be glorious!

I need to do something to try to get back to normal, and after a few sleepless nights, maybe one of the things I can do is rest. I'm running on caffeine, baby, and it's not a good situation, but all I can do for right now.

I've heard from my now Wisconsin transplanted son that he's doing fine just fine and everything is peachy, so that's good news on the northern front. I haven't had time to miss him, but I imagine after school is out, I will really note his absence.

I met with the WSU prof who would be overseeing me as I teach that undergrad class this fall, IF I decide to do that. She gave me some materials and the textbook. I promised her I would look them over and give her a reply quickly. I just cannot make my mind up about what to do-even after meeting with her yesterday, I can't decide. The easy thing to do would be to say no, then I wouldn't have to think about it anymore. But there's something in me that always wants something more, something different, something else in life, and somehow, these opportunities manage to find me. But I have walked through open doors before and been elated and I've walked through open doors before and have had a ton of regrets. The thing with this is, if I hate it, it's only one semester, 15 weeks. If I like it, there may be other opportunities for me to do more. How do I know unless I try it? As one wise man said, "What could go wrong?"

So I think I'm leaning toward saying yes. If I bomb, I bomb. The worst that could happen would be I would never be asked to teach again, all the students would gripe about me on the evaluations at the end of the semester, and, I would fail to meet my own expectations. I think that last thing is the worst. I can overlook faults in others much easier than I can those same faults in myself. I have had teachers that have not met my expectations, and classes that I didn't like, and I've filled out evaluations that weren't complimentary of the teacher of the class. News flash: Those teachers are STILL teaching.

So, there you have it. If only I could tackle other problems in my life with this same tenacity and attitude...

No comments: