Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Sounds of Silence

This week looks like it's shaping up to be a busy one. Tomorrow I'm meeting with a WSU professor in the afternoon. I have several other meetings this week, plus an all day workshop to attend on Friday, so I'll be out of the office all that day.

I'm evaluating a student from another culture-I'd tell you which one but this student is rather unusual and I need to protect his privacy. I'll call this student Maxa. Maxa was born with several physical deformities, plus had an unfortunate accident when he was younger resulting in two broken legs. Maxa's culture is not very tolerant or accepting of children who are less than "perfect", and his mother has reacted to this child's "imperfections" by sheltering him, and by doing for him even those things Maxa could do for himself given the opportunity. He has been coddled throughout his short life, and allowed to do whatever he likes. Consequently, he has behavior which is not acceptable-when told "no", he fights. When playing with other children, he doesn't share, he grabs toys and pencils. He pushes and is a bully. Maxa does not have social or academic English language skills. He has sensory deficits and an unusual deformity of his hands and feet. Evaluating him will be a challenge, but the big hurdle will be to find someone to translate so that my results will make sense to his mother. In discussing her child with her, I really have to be cognizant of the fact that the native culture she grew up in does not allow for children to be "different". Hence, I have a meeting with a WSU professor of this same culture and ethnicity. I'm hoping he can help me understand how I can best communicate to this mother about her son, all the while keeping in mind that I must say what needs to be said, and she must understand what is said.

It is hot and muggy tonight. After a cool day in the 50's yesterday, it got warm today-up in the 90's. And this evening at 10:30, it still hasn't cooled off much.

I wonder what I'd be doing tonight if I didn't live in the city. If I lived outside of town, I bet I'd be sitting on my porch watching the stars come out. Listening to the sounds of the night-and I'm not talking about traffic, horns, sirens, airplanes, and trains. Sometimes my soul aches for peace and quiet. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever find it.

No comments: