Monday, September 24, 2007

Reason #1

In her book, "Talk to the Hand", author Lynne Truss discusses six areas in which the human race is getting more "unpleasant and inhuman" day by day. She defines these areas as six reasons to stay home and bolt the door - perhaps figuratively, perhaps not.

#1. "Was That So Hard To Say?"
Truss deplores the state of manners in our society-and the infrequent use of the words "please" and "thank you". She notes that the rituals that once were in place for showing gratitude are now in sad disrepair. Hold a door open for someone and it's unusual to hear a thank you. However, I think maybe in the midwest, we still do this a lot of the time. And the place that surprises me the most with polite door holding is QuikTrip. Yes, that busy convenience store where people are rushing in for drinks, snacks, or a myriad number of other items - it is not unusual for the person in front of you to hold the door for you as you go out, particularly if you have something in your hands. I'm always amazed at that. And, it's contagious. I always hold the door open for the next guy. Even if the person coming out IS a guy.

Reason #2 next post. Stay tuned.

In other news, I have 3 special education staffings this week. To complicate matters, a long time church member and friend died yesterday, and her funeral is Thursday. I have been asked to provide music, but I'm afraid I will not be able to as one of those special education staffing meetings is the same time as the service. And Friday is another inservice day-I get to hear about suspensions and expulsions for half the day, and review crisis plans at both schools the other half of the day.

Sympathies extend to my daughter, whose faithful companion, Alex, a guinea pig she had for five and a half years died. My daughter, for some reason, has a real affinity for guinea pigs, and has had them in her life ever since we got her first one for her for her birthday when she was in the 3rd grade. She babies them, spoils them rotten, and they want for nothing when they are in her care - in fact, they communicate exceptionally well with her in squeaks, chirps, grunts, and noises that only she can understand. I never did get on good terms with Alex as he bit me once, but he was sure a nice looking tri-color pig, with a personality all his own.

1 comment:

bluggier said...

I'm truly sorry to hear about the pig. Yes, she does enjoy them. I'll send her a sympathy email.