Sunday, January 18, 2015

Sunday Morning

Sundays are busy days for us, so I enjoy beginning with some quiet time (and coffee of course).  I teach a Sunday School class of women and normally, we have about 10 on a good day.  The last three Sundays I've seen a little mini-explosion of attendees and now, we're up to maybe 15-16.  As I prepare to teach the lesson, I am so aware of what a challenge this is.  I explained last Sunday to the group that I expect that one of their responsibilities in this class is to listen to what is taught and make sure that it lines up with truth - truth that is presented from the Word.  If they feel it doesn't, we have a problem and they need to say something to me or to our pastor.  I expect them to listen with a discerning ear and to contribute their thoughts - they don't realize this but I learn far more from them than they will learn from me.  Their discussion of our topics is so valuable - it is true what Proverbs 27:17 says, "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another."  So, I'm getting to know 6 new women who have all of a sudden decided to come to my room on a Sunday morning.  One is from another class in our church, one is a city bus driver who was invited by a rider, and 4 are from a church across the way who unfortunately, has split.

Always my thought as I present the lesson is, how can I make this relevant?  How is this applicable?  What do I want my listeners to understand?   Many many years ago when the husband was in seminary, he learned to outline and organize his notes for sermons.  To this day, he begins his outline with the same statement (and up to just a few years ago, he hand wrote it):  "I want my hearers to...."

This is applicable not only in a sermon/Sunday School class, but don't you think it's applicable whenever we need to communicate information to people?  In my job I meet with parents and attempt to communicate information to them about their son or daughter.  Always I try to keep in mind while I'm talking to them that they know their child better than I do, that most parents want to do the right thing for their child, and, parents always have the choice in any matter regarding their child.  I want my hearers (the parents) to know that these values are a part of my practice as a school psychologist.

Lastly - the very best skill to develop is the art of listening.  I want to really listen to parents as they talk to me about their concerns.  Many times it involves drawing them out because they don't really trust me - they think I don't really know their kid - and not only that, they come with preconceived notions about things.

Listening and communicating clearly.  Such an art form.  And so sadly needed in this world.


No comments: