Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Good Morning

It's a cold cold January day.  We've had some snow on top of freezing mist early this morning and now people are skating to work, sliding off of entrance ramps and knocking into each other.  I'm going to hang back and wait for everyone else to get to work, then I'll go.  I'm sitting here at my little dining table drinking coffee and watching the sunrise - the colors are amazing.  I should mention that I can only see just a little square of it through the school buildings across the street, but that's ok.  When you live in the middle of a city, you enjoy even small views of the majestic colors God uses to paint us sunrises and sunsets.

When I was younger, three wishes wouldn't have been enough for me to change everything about my life that I didn't like, but now I'm here to tell you that it's true that age is a great modifier of thought and attitude.  I continue to live with certain things in life that I wish could be different, but now it's not an all consuming desire, it's more of an "it is what it is" thing (although that's one of the sayings I hate most).  I think it's that you begin to figure out what's important, and, you begin to let the truth of Paul's writings in Philippians sink in.

"...for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."  Philippians 4:10-12 

I have much to be grateful for.  My old house has lots of problems, but it envelopes me with years of wonderful memories of family and friends, sitting in my too small dining room cramped for space.   Laughter and bonding over board games and winter soup - these memories are priceless.  My spouse and I, playing canasta and drinking hot tea at this table, my grandson eating french fries just last night as he sat in his booster seat - how blessed I am!

1 comment:

bluggier said...

Another thing that puts things into perspective rather quickly is the passing of a loved one. One of our dear church members died Monday. I'll officiate the funeral Thursday. I'm actually just a tiny bit jealous of her right now...