Sunday, January 15, 2012

Kindness

So the lesson I'm going to teach today has to do with kindness.  When I first looked at it, I thought it would be a "slam-dunk", you know, one of those things you can run through sorta with a "duh" attitude.  Kindness - yes, everyone should be kind, everyone should practice this trait, give some examples, bam, you're done.  Nope, I don't think so.

Here's what I learned in my study:  Being kind is sometimes difficult.  It is a choice.  A kindness is truly a kindness when it is received by someone who:  (a)  may not "deserve" it, (b) does not expect it, (c) requires a sacrifice on your part, (d) is done without thought of what you will receive in return.  Being kind involves not only taking action to meet a need, but also can be facilitated by the words you speak to others. 

Do you know anyone who is truly kind?  I've been the recipient of many acts of kindness over the years but I think one that stands out is an act so "small' and simple that the person, who I don't even know their name, was unaware the impact they had.  It was a busy weekday evening, about 5:30, many years ago.  I was standing in line at the small grocery store near my home, however, the store was packed, as it often was, with people similar to me-working moms stopping in to get something to fix for dinner that evening.  I was tired and weary from a job which absolutely drained me.  My three children at home were around 12, 14, and 16 and it seemed we were having one crisis after another in my family.  As I waited in line, I grew more and more impatient, and upset about the fact that there seemed to be never enough checkers in the store. Finally, my turn came and after pulling my cart up in the lane, the cashier unloaded my groceries to begin to scan them.  I stood at the check-writing shelf and got my checkbook out, wondering if I had enough money to pay for food this week.  After greeting me, the cashier looked at my face and said something like this:   "You look really tired.  You must have had a long, hard, day, now you have to go home and fix dinner!  I'm so sorry you had to wait in line."  Drip, drip, drip.  These words fell onto a parched and weary soul, and I looked back at her.  For the first time I saw dark circles around HER eyes and a weariness about her, but then, she smiled at me and there we were, two weary women understanding each other all because she cared enough to express kindness to me when I appeared out of sorts to her. 

I've never forgotten it.  I don't even know her name, but I've never forgotten that feeling as I left that store and went home to my kids.  Kind words matter!  They buoy and lift the spirit like no other - especially when said to those who least deserve them, expect them, or who cannot give you anything in return.

Kindness.  I encourage you to practice it this week, and start with those who are nearest to you.  Here's a reminder:  "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."  (Ephesians 4:32)    

No comments: