Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother Musings

It's Sunday, Mother's Day. I've had mixed feelings about this holiday, as I've always said that I'm a mother more like Roseanne than June Cleaver, although, I'm not a real fan of either of those TV icons. In a discussion with one of my sons yesterday, I was reminded again of my own foibles and, of how my adult offspring need my relationship with them to continue to change - but, it's kinda complicated. Most of the time, your grown-up kids need a parent for occasional advice and maybe babysitting grandkids once in awhile. But every so often, they need a "mom", or a "dad". It's hard to know how that works, but here's what I think - it's up to your kid. Your kid is kinda the one in charge of how they want your relationship to be (to a certain extent).

I have 3 kids and they're all different, they all need different things from me, but I hope they know that I love them, and I'll get it figured out one of these days. I have made mistakes and errors in judgment, and will continue to do so, but we'll get it worked out. I'd like to say to my kids, thanks for making my life richer and for teaching me more than I ever learned in a classroom. A big hug to Rebekah, Joshua, and Daniel-three blessings in life for me. I really kind of dislike the term "in-law", because Jason has become more of a son than an "in-law", and I appreciate his efforts to provide and care for our daughter. We will soon welcome another "in-law", Dara, and again, I think of her more as my daughter - she is already a part of our family. Joyce Landorf coined the term "daughter-in-love" and that might fit better than "in-law". Other kids in this family include my "adopted son" Bob, and, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Michael and Tiffani-you guys will always be a part of us. Blessings to each of you-Mom

3 comments:

bluggier said...

And by extension those people who are not originally part of the brood become members of the extended family...we too appreciate them and love them.

Anonymous said...

I love you too mom :)

Rebekah

Wayne said...

We were blessed to have one of our sons, Ron, with us for the weekend. He was born on Mother's Day 49 years ago, so we were privileged to have him here on his birthday (Friday) and for Mother's Day.

WDK