Sunday, March 02, 2008

If I only had a brain...

How's this for an advertising slogan for a sugar substitute: "Sweetness-the most important ingredient in life." This was on the new box of Splenda that I opened last week. Usually, I don't pay attention to these things, but I stood there and read it, and wondered if it was true. Who made this brash statement? Where is their research to back up this claim? Were there studies conducted? How do the authors of this statement know that it's true? And if it's not true, why is it on my box of Splenda? Did this statement actually convince someone to buy this particular sweetener? "Oh! Look honey! The Splenda people say that sweetness is the most important ingredient in life. We'd better get this rather than the Equal, or the Sweet 'N Low."

This is an opinion, period. However, it was stated as if it were fact. Now you know where I'm going with this. How many other things do we hear, or read, especially in these days of political contests, that are opinions, but presented as facts? And many of these things that are said or written have quite impressive research findings. In one of the first classes I ever took at WSU, the professor challenged us to read and listen to everything with a critical eye. One of our assignments was to find news stories which made statements such as, "Four out of five headache sufferers prefer Brand X", and to come up with plausible explanations or fallacies regarding the claims.

When political candidates debate, they all present "facts". A popular retort is, "That's what he/she says! Let me tell you the FACTS of the matter." And what I really have a hard time with, are those who, just because their candidate, or radio host, or CNN or FOX commentator SAID it, it has to be true! Same thing about "the oracle of all knowledge", the internet. "I read it on the Drudge Report! It's true!" I'm not necessarily saying it's not true. I'm saying, don't let people spoon-feed you pablum and tell you it's true. Try to find out for yourself. Our pastor said a couple of weeks ago, "I welcome your critical thoughts regarding anything I say in this pulpit. You check it out for yourself. You read, you research, you study. Know what you believe."

Of course, this is way too difficult for many people. The Joel Olsteens of the world will tell ya what you need to do in order to be happy, rich and prosperous. Go ahead. Follow along. Don't stop to think for yourself. He's the one getting richer and happier, not you. But don't let that deter you. It's much less work to just let someone else do the thinking for you.

No comments: