Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Challenges

I looked back on this blog at January, February, and March 2007. And that's one reason I'm glad I have a blog. I was busy, busy, busy last year at this time. And feeling quite overwhelmed.

This year, I'm in a much better frame of mind. I don't have as many evaluations to do at either school. I know more about what I'm doing. I'm more comfortable with the process. I'm feeling a bit more organized. And best of all, I don't have the internship class to worry about, like I did all last year.

I do have a lot of things going on at both schools. One of the best things about my job is the chance I have to build relationships with kids. For example, there's a lost younger student I've been getting to know-I found out he would like to learn to play chess. Although I have an understanding of the game, I'd like to see an older boy, or perhaps a male teacher take this challenge on-and play chess with this little guy. That's going to be one of my goals this week.

More challenging events occuring the last couple of weeks include watching a couple of siblings taken into protective custody, waiting on a young student being evaluated for a possible tumor, two evaluations for possible mental retardation are in progress, and some observation and work with an emotionally disturbed preschooler continues. This job has a variety of responsibilities-and that's one thing I really enjoy. It certainly isn't the same old same old every day.

Next blog entry: Parents who are connected with their cell phones, but who don't have any words of greeting or encouragement for their children.

No comments: