Thursday, March 27, 2008

Train Trip Installment #3

We arrived exhausted, but very glad to be "home". The next 4 days sort of go by in a blur as I remember them, but we had all kinds of fun. We played games, visited, had a professional massage, went shopping, ate out, enjoyed Linda's cooking, had fun with the niece and nephew, heard a bagpiper on St Patty's day, relaxed, and rested. Too quickly the time went by and we found ourselves in the Jackson train station, waiting for the westbound to come by and whisk us off to Chicago.

However, in order to make things easier for us on the way back, my daughter UPS'd her small suitcase, packed with "bricks", back home. We both bought new shoulder bags, actually more like backpacks, which we wore in order to have both hands free to wrestle suitcases. We hopped on the train at Jackson, right on time, and found plenty of storage for big suitcases on the train-no upper level. In Chicago, 3 hours later around noon, we knew just where to go and what to do-immediately we found the gate that the Southwest Chief would depart from at 3:25 and since we were so early, we were able to find seats to sit close to the gate. We parked there and I knew just where to go in search of food, found lunch and brought it back, PLUS (I hate to admit this) I bought a Cinnabon as well that we shared.

I then had a firsthand view of the seemingly confusing way Amtrak boards trains. We were in a big room, with a moderately sized room in front of us. Through the doors to that room, were the doors to walk out of the station and get on the train. That room was empty, and we couldn't figure out why there was a guard posted there to keep people from going in. About 40 minutes before time to leave, the announcement was made for all those with disabilities, over 65, and with small children to please line up and have tickets and ID's ready. Those people then, were led to that room and waited there instead of with us at the "regular" gate. After they lined up and left my daughter hopped up and stood at the door, the first in line in our room to get on the train. We stood for 20 or 25 minutes, while a long line formed behind us.

Finally, after the first room boarded, we were able to board, and once again, we were semi-panicked about how we were going to manage everything up that awful staircase. No need to worry! (Why do we do that???) I got on board, and with my tunnel vision fully employed, headed toward the staircase. I heard this, "MOM! OVER HERE!" I turned, and realized I didn't even see the luggage compartment on the lower level, nearly empty. Quickly I loaded my suitcase and we headed for the staircase empty handed except for our backpacks. However, before I started up the stairs I looked to my left to see if there were people sitting on the lower level already, and whaddya know, there were no seats in that section. Amtrak had removed them, and turned that section into a small baggage car, so, even had we been the last ones in line, there would have been plenty of room for us to stow our suitcases in there without dragging them up to the upper level where we were sitting.

Last installment coming up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been enjoying your blog posts about the trip. I especially like the way you fit four days of vacation into two sentences . . . (yes, yes, I KNOW the posts are about the train experience!). We certainly were glad you came, and I'm glad the trip back was much better than the trip out.