Saturday, March 22, 2008

To Michigan on the Southwest Chief Installment 1

We started our journey at the train station in Newton, Kansas, population-a little more than 17,000 on the 2000 census. I thought perhaps besides my daughter and I, there might be 3 or 4 others waiting to board either the east or the west bound SWC. That was my first misconception, because upon arriving, we found the station was packed with people. It was Saturday, the 15th, first day of spring break, and young people were anxious to get started on trips away from school.

So, it was sit, sit, sit, in a crowded lobby, at 2:30 in the morning, and wait for the train. I've never really been good at taking trips, but I really got sort of nervous. When you are middle-aged, you begin thinking of all those things you might have forgotten-do you have the TICKETS?? Your medications??? Do you have EVERYTHING??? And the train, well, I've never done this before. I'm not young, ya know. I'm not as wowed by impulsive, exciting, adventurous opportunities as I once was, I'm more terrified by them.

The train pulls up, and out we all herd, like sheep, onto the platform. I'm hauling a large (but within Amtrak rules) suitcase on wheels and a shoulder bag. My daughter is hauling a little larger and heavier suitcase on wheels, another smaller suitcase on wheels, and a shoulder bag. Did I mention that Amtrak has no baggage service at Newton?

No baggage service. Key words when you are planning a trip. This means, you are on your own in carrying all your stuff with you, on the train. This means that you must navigate yourself, and all your stuff onboard the train. Lest you have any doubt, let me rephrase. This means that you will have no HELP from Amtrak staff in getting your stuff on the train.

The SWC is a "Superliner". Almost every car has two levels. When you ride coach, and your train originates from Los Angeles and has stopped at many points west of you before it gets to Newton, and when it's the first day of spring break, and when every seat is sold out on this run, there are no lower level seats.

No baggage service. Upper level seating. Middle aged woman with large, heavy suitcase. Younger woman with two heavy suitcases. I hopped up on the step stool, dragging my suitcase. From there, I stepped on the first train step. Stepped up and up and up, 3 more times, my suitcase dragging beside me, listening to my daughter struggle behind me. Stopped on the lower level and gazed at the baggage compartment, filled to overflowing with suitcases stuffed in there, like sardines in a can. Looked at the Amtrak man wearing a hat. His expression was unchanging. He pointed to the steps leading to the upper level.

I turned and saw a narrow stair case, not more than (I got out a yardstick to estimate) 24 inches wide. After the first three steps, the staircase made a sharp turn to the right. The steps were at least a foot high. At that point, I very much wanted to turn around and go home. I could not imagine how we were going to do this, but some things you do because you have to, you have no choice. So onto the first step I went, dragging my suitcase behind me. Also behind me is my daughter, voicing her disbelief and about a hundred other people, waiting on me to ascend.

Up, up, up. Three big steps. Hairpin turn to the right. 4 even bigger steps. Another hairpin turn to the right. 4 more steps. Grunting, straining, and almost in tears, I pulled my suitcase any way I could get it to go up, behind me, beside me, whatever, however, I could get it UP the steps. At the top, a very nice young man stood in the aisle and waited to get to his seat. When he saw me struggling, he took two steps down, and helped me haul it up the rest of the way. An Amtrak employee at the top of the staircase directed me to put it at the end of the car with some other luggage. The middle-eastern looking young man then helped my panicked daughter navigate the last steps with her suitcases. He ended up in the seat in front of us, and I profusely thanked him for his help.

We plopped down in our seats in the last coach car, panting, sweating, and amazed that we made it. We looked at each other. Well! We were off to a fine start!

1 comment:

bluggier said...

Not all men are honyocks!!