Saturday, October 28, 2017

Temporal vs. Eternal

This last work week ended on Friday with a parent meeting which was one of the most intense, dramatic, and challenging I have ever been a part of.  I walked out Friday evening feeling exhausted and run over - but the second I drove away from school, I began to try to put things in perspective.  Toxic people can only spread their poison when they are allowed to do so.  Easier said than done, I know, because it can overtake even the most grounded person if not dealt with carefully.   It still hurt last night when I went to bed.

Today - not so much.  We had an extra rehearsal for "Messiah" this morning.  Standing to sing "Worthy is the Lamb", I realized that I not only was joining a multitude of voices who have sung this chorus before, but I also was singing with those who have gone on to glory, who right then were saying these very words before a Heavenly throne... "Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing."

The angry parent faded away.  The hurtful words faded away.  I know who I am - I know Who loves me.  I know Whom I have believed.  I know Who I belong to.  I know Who my Father is.  I know.  I'm grateful for this reminder.  This is why I continue to sing Messiah every year and as long as I can, I will.  The music and words transcend all earthly agonies and help me focus on the glories of eternity which I cannot begin to imagine.

No comments: