Tuesday, May 30, 2017

May 30, 2017

I shouldn't really post when I'm feeling so rotten (seasonal cold/allergies/misery/congestion/cough/headache) because that tends to color perception but here goes anyway.

Lots going on with my family - kids and their spouses are all at challenging places in their lives.  Making the transition from parent to confidant, adviser, and friend is so difficult at times but so necessary in order to make sure your kids are in charge of their own decisions - and letting them make those decisions and stand for the consequences is when maturity is developed.  Like their mom and dad, they will make both good and poor decisions so the challenge is to be the soft place for them to fall without enabling.  My parents both passed away when I was 31 so having an adult relationship with the people who raised you is something I haven't had much experience with.

Doing some work on the house - painting, replacing siding, etc.  We are rethinking our decision to move for several reasons, but we'll see what's on the horizon.  This summer, my days are filled with working some addendum weeks for the school district, gardening, spending time with my grands, getting things together for the hugest garage sale ever, going to a family reunion, reading, studying, etc.  I can't imagine how I will fill retirement days in 3.5 years but it'll be here before I know it and then - a new chapter in life.

Thought for the day:  we are indeed building up treasures in heaven, not here on earth - where my treasure is, that's where my priorities are.

No comments: