Saturday, August 29, 2015

Recouperation

Three weeks ago last Thursday, I injured my back somehow, someway.  MEC visit, doc office visit, two MRI's, and what do I have - a whole lot of inflammation which needs to get taken care of.  I have not been to work since Monday, August 8.  Sitting, standing, laying down, walking - all of these were painful.   So since Thursday this week, I've been on some higher powered anti inflammatory pills, and a narcotic in an effort to deal with the inflammation so that I can go back to work on Monday.  I'm pretty much a zombie this weekend, and am only writing this because I just took meds and they'll take awhile to kick in.

I'm an active person, so this is a different scenario for me - to just not do anything.  Doctor's orders were strict - no going ANYWHERE, no doing ANYTHING.

After the injury happened, depression soon followed.  It was difficult for me to carry out these orders and not see anyone day in and day out except the two men I live with.

So tonight I'm grateful for two work friends, who took the time to not only come by, but to bring dinner three different nights so that I didn't have to worry about cooking.  It is true what the writer says :  "There is a friend that sticks closer than a brother..."  (Proverbs 18:24).   I think of those who have neither family nor friends to help in times of need and I have come away with a new appreciation for brothers and sisters who live with chronic pain and who are lonely and discouraged. I've been recently convicted that I can do more than what I've been doing to meet needs.  I can do more.  I can do more than put someone's name on a prayer list.  What that "more" looks like, I don't know, but suffering this comparatively mild condition, and dealing with feelings of loneliness and isolation have changed me.

1 comment:

bluggier said...

As things like this often do...changes result.