Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pain

Once again, I am reminded, albeit temporarily, what life is somewhat like for those who live with chronic pain day in and day out.  I say "somewhat" because I only have had a glimpse of that life from Sunday to today (Wednesday afternoon), and it is, as they say, only a drop in the bucket compared to what others live with day after day.. 

I did something to my neck while moving my daughter, and on Sunday morning, I woke up in excruciating agony even doing something as rudimentary as turning my head from side to side.  I went to the MEC Sunday afternoon, and he prescribed a stronger Lortab, and Valium.  Not helpful to a great degree.  Today I talked to the doctor's nurse, who says doc wants to prescribe something other than the Valium, so am taking that, and continuing with the Lortab.  One more day of rest, then back to school on Friday. 

Pain saps your energy and all your goodwill.  It causes you to see things in a skewed way,  and being thankful certainly didn't cross my mind.  Pain - I hate it.  I hope this is temporary, it should be.  But how much I've grown to appreciate those who struggle with this every day - and who still carry on with their lives the best they can.  I think of Wanda, whose hands and fingers were twisted and crippled by an aggressive form of arthritis -  so much so that she was unable to turn a key in a lock by the time she was 55 years old.  Wanda would stop by my office when I was a church secretary and she would greet me cheerfully and ask how I was doing.  Or my friend "Grandma Warren" - how are you Grandma? I would inquire.  She'd look at me with wise old eyes and say, "I'm just agoin' on!  How are you dear?"  The list of people I know who struggle with physical pain day in and day out could just go on.  Me - I've got nothing to gripe about, do I.  Best get my mind off of me and on to to Somebody Else.  Yeah.  I like that plan. 




No comments: