Friday, August 15, 2008

The first day of school

Yesterday was the first day of school in the large, urban district I work for. I spent the day organizing my office, cleaning out files, etc. There won't be a lot to do with kids until we get rolling with child study team meeting next week. However, I did have an experience with a child I will recount here. I sent this in an email to a couple of siblings and as I was writing it I thought, that would make a good blog post! So here ya go.

Kenny's* First Day
So, I'm sitting here having my lunch (leftover pizza) and thinking about my day so far. I'm supposed to be here by 8:40, but I always come early. Today I got here at 8:00 or so, and as I walked down the hallway, I saw a young boy sitting forlornly on the bench outside my office door. I went to my office as I had some things in my hands, then came back to sit beside him and visit. Kenny is in the 3rd grade, new to this school. He looks like he's about 8. Kids are not supposed to be at school before 8:30 (if they are eating breakfast) and if they aren't eating breakfast, they aren't to be here before 8:45 (the bell rings at 8:50), thus the reason for my conversation with him. I wanted to know why he had come so early to school.

Kenny told me that his mom and dad leave for work at 2:00am, and that he has an older brother, 17, who's supposed to be taking care of him. The brother leaves for high school at around 7:15. This means Kenny is alone from then until time for him to walk to school. Did I mention he's 8 years old? So, on this, his first day, at a NEW school, he was here at least 45 minutes early. No parent to walk him to his class, to give him a goodbye hug, to tell him to have a good day, to reassure him that things would be just fine here at his new school. That responsibility fell to me. And so, the little boy with the longer, curly brown hair and freckles, and sad eyes became my friend today. I asked Kenny to help me bring in some things from the car, and I introduced him to our counselor, who visited with him about what route to walk to school, and when he should leave in the morning. I found his teacher and told her the story, and she came to meet him and reassure him that she would make it a great day for him. After I have the last bite of pizza, I'm going to find him in the lunchroom to see how things are going with him. I don't know anything about Kenny's parents, and I'm trying so very hard not be judgmental. But they missed a special time with their son today that I had the privilege of having. I wonder if they know that.

*Not his real name

1 comment:

Sammie J said...

Sounds like he had a great first day! I have a question for you. I talked to Josh and he told me that you thought my blog was depressing or something. I was just wondedring why you thought that? I try to just write about my life and yes I have bad days, who doesn't, but I have a lot of good days too. I was just curious.