Tuesday, November 28, 2006

What to do with lemons

I just want to say that I LOVE hearing from all of you who are checking in to read this trivial blog, and to comment. Patzoo, it was nice to hear from you, and yes, you ARE a talented writer! I know you are a little skittish of publishing for everyone to view, but you are creative and have a lot to offer. And Fraser's Girl, well! Thanks for letting me know that things are just "heavenly" with you-especially since you're married to an angel...how was the Prime Rib for T Giving dinner? Jessica, good to hear from you as well, I hope to get to know you better. My friend Candice-are you feeling better? I have fond memories of classes with you-you made me laugh and not take myself too seriously. You are too cool. For those of you who read this blog and have invited me to read your myspace, I really like blogspot better because you don't have to sign in. If you'll send me a link where I could view your blog without having to sign in to myspace, that would be great.

I haven't said too much about my job, but hope to as time goes on. I can tell you that I really really like what I do. It's a challenge, it's rewarding, it's interesting, it's different every day. Although school psychologists are trained to do more than assess eligibility for students to be served in special education, that's really what I do most of. I also enjoy meeting with parents (for the most part) and visiting with them about their child's needs. I'd like to do more consulting work-that's where I feel school psychologists can be more useful than people give them credit for. This week I have 3 staffings scheduled-the one today was a "happy" staffing-the child was doing quite well so we dismissed him. Another staffing tomorrow may not be so happy-I tested a child for eligibility in the "gifted" program, and although the child is functioning well at a high average level, they just don't meet the qualifications for gifted. I think parents will be ok with it, but it's always tense to explain that "Although your child is WONDERFUL, and BRIGHT, and CREATIVE, blah blah blah..."

Thought for the day: When life hands you lemons, chunk 'em down your reeking garbage disposal and get a bowl of ice cream and a bottle of chocolate syrup.

No comments: